Gambling Act temporary use notices

These will allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no Premises Licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling. Premises that might be suitable for a Temporary Use Notice (TUN) would include hotels, conference centres, and sporting venues.

A TUN may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

The Regulations state that the only activities permitted under a TUN are the provision of facilities for any form of equal chance gaming where those participating in the gaming are taking part in a competition which is intended to produce a single, overall winner (this does not include providing such facilities in circumstances where any person participating in the gaming does so by means of a gaming machine).

A TUN must be lodged with us not less than 3 months and 1 day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.

There are fees applicable to this process.

To us, as licensing authority, then the Notice must be copied, within 7 days of the date of the Notice, to the Gambling Commission, Merseyside Police and HM Revenue & Customs.

The Licensing Authority and the above Responsible Authorities are permitted to make objections in relation to a TUN. Objections must be made within 14 days of the date of the Notice, a hearing will then be held to determine the Notice.

If no objections are received, the event can proceed as applied for. A copy of the Notice must then be displayed on the premises for the duration of the event.

The same set of premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12-month period, but may be the subject of several Notices provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.

Should this period be exceeded we will issue a counter-notice that has the effect of stopping the TUN coming into effect; failure to comply with the counter-notice will be an offence.


Recite Me Button