What is it?
The ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme is a free, voluntary scheme that provides recognition, guidance and advice on operational best practice to operators of goods vehicles, buses and coaches.
It is being rolled out in Sefton to help fleet operators improve efficiency, reduce fuel consumption and reduce emissions – all helping to improve local air quality and at the same time, make cost savings.
When joining, your vehicles and overall fleet will be rated by industry experts to assess their current performance – both operational and environmental – and achieve an ECO Stars rating between 1 and 5. A bespoke “road map” will be produced containing tailor-made guidance to help improve the efficiency of your fleet.
ECO Stars was originally created in South Yorkshire and has since been adopted by other areas in the UK including Nottingham, York and Warrington as well as several cities across Europe. In total, the schemes have more than 200 members with 14,000+ vehicles.
The scheme is managed by Transport & Travel Research Ltd, on behalf of Sefton Council.
What are the benefits of being a member?
The ECO Stars Fleet Recognition Scheme can have a big impact on your business:
- Improve your fuel efficiency - a typical commercial vehicle operator could expect to reduce fuel consumption at least 5% in the first year
- Save money - up to £2300 per vehicle*– for an operator with 10 vehicles this equates to a saving of one whole tanker of diesel
- Reduce your environmental impact - a typical LGV could see its annual output of carbon dioxide fall by six tonnes per year* (reductions in toxic emissions of NOx and PM are also possible).
- It's free and simple to join with no formal audit process
- Receive tailor-made support and consultancy - fleet specialists will help complete your application and give you practical guidance and advice
- Raise your environmental profile – by becoming a member of Sefton ECO Stars, you will be recognised as an environmentally responsible fleet operator by other operators, customers and the wider community.
*Based on 80,000 miles per year of diesel. Figures from Department for Transport Freight Best Practice Programme
Who can join ECO Stars?
The ECO Stars scheme in Sefton is open to all operators of vans, trucks, buses and coaches who operate in south Sefton, but especially if you regularly use the Port via:
- The A5036 Dunnings Bridge route between Switch Island and Seaforth
- The A5058 Balliol Road/Millers Bridge route
Operators do not have to be based in Sefton to be eligible to apply.
Your fleet can:
- be any size – from just 1 vehicle up to large fleets
- include all types of commercial vehicles including vans, LGV, buses and coaches
- be from any industry sector - own account, hire and reward, private and public sector, retail, road haulage, industrial, parcel and courier, community transport, bus and coach service.
How do I join ECO Stars?
ECO Stars is straightforward to join. Simply download an application form (below) and look at the helpful guidance notes. We can visit and complete this with you if you prefer. Contact the ECO Stars team - who will be happy to assist on 01543 416416.
|Eco Stars Guidance Notes||(pdf 2.17MB)|
|Eco Stars Application Form||(pdf 2.44MB)|