Stay up to date on news, events and services in Sefton by subscribing to the My Sefton e-news bulletin. Sign up is quick and easy to do.

Sign up

Land Drainage Consent

Need to Pay for a Land Drainage Consent Application Fee?

Please follow the link to Online Services and search 'Land Drainage Consent'

Land Drainage Consent


Under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 and the Land drainage Act 1991, prior consent from the Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA) is required in order to undertake work (e.g., weir or culvert) that is likely to affect the flow of water in an ordinary watercourse. Land Drainage Consent is required to ensure that any work undertaken in or near a watercourse does not have a negative effect on nearby properties or the environment. For works relating to or affecting main rivers you must consult the Environment Agency. 

Not all work requires Land Drainage Consent. However, consent is required for both permanent or temporary work that will impact the flow or storage of water, such as the alteration or installation of a culvert. 

It is important to note that consent cannot be given retrospectively and that being granted planning permission or other consents does not mean you do not require Land Drainage Consent. Any work undertaken without Land Drainage Consent may result in civil action being taken. 

More details on Land Drainage Consent can be found in the Land Drainage Consent Application Form.

If you have any further questions about Land Drainage Consent, please email 

Last Updated on Thursday, June 16, 2022

Recite Me Button