By law, the Electoral Registration Officer is required to undertake an Annual Canvass of all households within Sefton to check that the information on the electoral register is as accurate as possible.
If requested, it is a legal requirement for residents to confirm details relating to their property.
How will we contact you?
- By email – If we hold an email address for someone in your household, we will send an email with instructions on how to respond. Emails will be sent from the beginning of September with a deadline for response.
- By post – If we do not hold an email address for someone in your property OR you fail to respond to the email communication, we will send a form through the post. These should arrive from 7 September 2023.
- By phone – If we do not receive a response to our email or form, we may make telephone calls to individuals to gain a response. Calls will start from 18 October 2023.
- In person – from 30 October 2023 a team of canvassers will start to visit addresses in Sefton to speak to residents.
How can you tell it is genuine?
We are sending emails to individuals to ask for a canvass response. The emails will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com and the subject heading is 'Act now so Sefton Council can check who is eligible to be registered to vote at your address'.
It also has a Sefton Council header. Please be assured that these emails are genuine, and you should follow the instructions to complete the response.
Contacting people via email is a cost-effective way of requesting responses to the canvass, rather than sending letters and forms through the post.
We have your email address as you have previously provided us with it. We will only use it for electoral purposes but if you no longer wish for us to contact you in this way please contact us.
I have logged on and the response is already complete
We have emailed all residents that we have contact details for. So, one of the other residents has already logged on and completed the response.
I no longer reside at the property that you are requesting details for
You may have received the email as you are still registered at a previous address. It is important that you update your electoral registration every time you move address. The quickest way to keep your registration current is to complete the online register to vote form. Please ensure that you list your previous address when requested.
Registering to pay council tax does not automatically register you to vote, each person living at the property will have to complete an individual registration.
What should I do with the email or form?
Please read the information carefully. The email or the form will advise you of the response required and the deadline.
If you do not respond to the initial contact, we will send further reminders until a response is received, which may include sending a member of staff to visit your property. If you receive a phone call or a face-to-face visit, please provide the information about the people residing at your property.
How do I confirm or update my property information?
If you need to respond to our correspondence the easiest way is online, it only takes a few minutes using the unique two-part security code provided. Simply choose one of these methods:
- Online at www.householdresponse.com/Sefton you can make changes to your household.
- By calling 0800 197 9871 follow the instructions and when prompted enter your security codes
- By texting NO CHANGE followed by your security codes to 80212
- Alternatively, you can complete and return your form using the Freepost envelope provided.
Who should be on the register at my property?
You should include the names and nationalities of everyone over 16 who lives at the address, please also include an email address if they are happy to share this.
All new people that are added to an annual canvass response will receive an additional contact called an ITR (Invitation to Register). This will ask for information about that person, including their National Insurance Number and Date of Birth to enable us to register the person fully. The easiest way for a new person to register themselves without the need for an ITR is to register to vote online.
Be sure to delete the names of anyone who no longer lives at your property.
You can register to vote any time of the year. If you register between August and November you will only be added to the Electoral Register from 1 December.
I have been contacted twice. Why?
We have a two-stage process for some residents at this time of year. You may have completed the invitation to register and have had your registration confirmed but have not completed the request for information about the people living in your household. You must complete this information.
Who is eligible to register?
|Electoral Registration Privacy Notice