In Sefton, you can access a whole host of safe, high quality childcare and early learning opportunities, including holiday clubs and schemes.
Our Sefton Directory has a full list of all childcare options in Sefton
Childcare is changing with new funded entitlements for working parents.
You can take a look at your childcare eligibility here and you can apply for your codes here too via Childcare Choices.
2 Year Old Funded Hours - New - Working Parent Entitlement
15 hours childcare for two-year-olds of working parents from April 2024.
- Most parents who work more than 16 hours and earn less than £100,000 are eligible for this funding.
- Available the term after your child turns 2 years.
- This is a term time only entitlement, however, most childcare providers will offer a ‘stretched’ offer providing fewer weekly hours over a whole year. Find out if you are eligible here.
- Places can be accessed through a range of providers including private nurseries, some school nurseries, playgroups, with some childminders.
For more information and how to apply: www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
2 Year Olds - Families Receiving Additional Support
Some 2-year-olds in Sefton can get FREE early learning and childcare support if they meet one or more of the eligibility criteria.
Your 2-year-old can get free childcare if you live in England and get any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit, and your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, not including benefit payments.
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit (or both), and your household income is £16,190 a year or less before tax
- the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
2-year-olds can also get free childcare if they:
- are looked after by a local authority.
- have an education, health and care (EHC) plan.
- get Disability Living Allowance
- have left care under an adoption order, special guardianship order or a child arrangement order
If you meet the eligibility criteria, your child would be eligible for funding from the term after their 2nd birthday. For more information and how to apply: www.sefton.gov.uk/2yearolds
For more information on any of the entitlements, please contact us:
or call 0151 933 6021 (Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm or Fri 9am-4pm)
Join our Webinar delivered by Sefton Early Years Team
3 and 4 Year Olds - 15 Hours & 30 Hours for Working Parents
- All 3 and 4-year-olds are entitled to 15 hours, term time funded Early Education from the term after their 3rd birthday (There is no application process for this. Please speak to your childcare provider).
- An additional 15 hours of free childcare is available for families where both parents are working (or the sole parent is working in a lone-parent family), and each parent earns the equivalent of 16 hours a week at the national minimum or living wage and earns less than £100,000 a year. For more information and how to apply: childcarechoices.gov.uk
Expansion of Funded Entitlements
15 hours (term time) funded entitlement for children of working parents accessible from the term after they are 9 months old. For more information: www.childcarechoices.gov.uk
30 hours (term time) funded entitlement for children of working parents accessible from the term after they are 9 months old. For more information: www.childcarechoices.gov.uk