The Healthy Child Programme (HCP) is the early intervention and prevention public health programme for children and families. All families receive HCP services and there are also enhanced services for children and families who need them.
Healthy Child Programme 0-5 Years
Health Visitors deliver HCP for 0-5 Years for all children and parents to support:
- Parents having a strong bond with children
- Children being happy and safe
- Protection of children from serious diseases through screening and immunisations.
- Early identification of health and development problems and timely help.
- Improved readiness for school
- Breastfeeding, healthy eating and physical activity
Healthy Child Programme 5-19 Years
School health delivers the HCP, for ages 5-19 Support is provided to individual children and families and to schools as a whole. Work delivered includes: health assessments for individual children in key stages in development and any child new to the area, drop in clinics covering health and lifestyle behaviour, support for vulnerable children including safeguarding, assisting schools with lesson planning in PHSE and supporting schools develop health plans.
The Enhanced Service is a targeted programme for vulnerable young people and families. It involves more intensive support, delivered by specially trained staff. The Enhanced Service plays an important role in safeguarding children alongside statutory and other partners to ensure children are protected.
For more information visit: North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust