Children's social care complaints

Get in touch

If you make a comment or a suggestion we will write to you to say what we are going to do with it. We might ask a manager or the Participation Officer to talk to you about it. We might ask if you want to help us to plan changes. 

Most of the time, if you want to say thank you or well done you can do this face to face. If you live in a Children’s Home you might have a book where you can write this down. Sometimes you might want other people to know that someone has done a good job. 

First of all we will try to sort out any problems and deal with concerns as quickly as possible. Most will be sorted out within 2 days by your carer or social worker. If they can’t do this, or if you want someone else to deal with it we will follow these stages.

Stage 1 - We will ask a manager to look into the complaint and talk to you about it. We will try to agree a way to sort it out. We will write you a letter saying what we have agreed to do. If you are not happy with what has been done to sort the complaint out, you or your advocate can ask for it to go to Stage 2.

Stage 2 - At Stage 2 we ask people who do not work for Children’s Services to help us sort out the complaint. These people are called “Independent”. We will ask them to investigate the complaint. A senior manager will send you a copy of the report with a letter telling you what Children’s Services are going to do. If you want, we will meet with you and your advocate to explain this in more detail.

Stage 3 - If you think that:

  • the report or letter at Stage 2 was wrong or had bits missing
  • the complaints procedure has not been followed
  • Children’s Services has not tried its best to sort out the complaint
  • you or your advocate can ask for the complaint to go to Stage 3.

3 independent people who have not dealt with the complaint before will meet with you, the independent people who did the Stage 2 investigation and someone from Children’s Services. They will ask questions to find out what we have done to sort your problem out. 

After the meeting the panel will write a report to say what they think Children’s Services needs to do to sort out the complaint.

Referral to Ombudsman
If you are still unhappy you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman:


Childrens Complaints Procedure (pdf 206KB)

Last Updated on 04 September 2017