New Beginnings is a youth group for young people who are LGBT aged 11 – 25 years. The aim of the project is to provide a safe place for young people to meet, learn, to be and find who they are in a safe non – judgemental environment.
The project is described as a ‘closed’ project. To access the project a young person would have to come through the following referrals pathways:
- EIP Gateway.
- Referrals from other agencies across Sefton, Liverpool, Knowsley and depending on where young people live. Young people who live in Sefton will be given priority.
- Self – Referral.
The work we deliver is developmental group work, one to one work and family support. The areas of work we deliver range from:
- Keeping Safe Work – Understanding risks, vulnerabilities, consequences and putting in place strategies to stay safe.
- Understanding bullying and strategies to put in place to address it.
- Understanding of sexual health and strategies to put in place to stay healthy.
- Understanding homophobia and strategies to put in place to stay safe.
- Substance misuse including alcohol and strategies to put in place to stay healthy.
- Parent support group.
Through participation in the above pieces of work, through the influence of positive role models, a safe environment and having fun young people are able to understand and learn how to make informed choices that lead to improved life chances.