Why should I stop smoking?
Stopping smoking is the single most important thing you can do for your health. It can help your family and your finances too.
Out of 4,000 different chemicals in cigarette smoke, 40 are known to cause cancer.
Secondhand smoke affects those closest to you by increasing their risk of developing heart disease, cancers and breathing problems.
The good news is that your health starts improving as soon as you stop smoking and it is never too late to quit
- After eight hours oxygen levels return to normal
- Within four days breathing is easier and energy levels increase
- By the third month circulation improves making walking and exercising easier
- And in nine months lung capacity has been enhanced to such a degree that coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath should be a thing of the past
- What Sefton's Stop Smoking Service can offer you
Who can I contact?
SUPPORT, Sefton’s Stop Smoking Service is a friendly team of specialist nurses, advisors and support workers who have the advice you need to help you on the way to a healthier future.
The team will create your own quit plan, listen to any concerns and offer advice on suitable Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) products and other treatments.
There are many start-up sessions throughout Sefton at places and times to make it easier for people to get the help they need to stop smoking. Call Healthy Sefton on 0300 100 1000 to find your nearest one.
Phone 0300 100 1000, text SUPPORT to 80039 with your name and full postcode, or visit our facebook page.