Advertisements and hoardings

If you intend to erect a sign or advertisement (including a flag pole), this may need advertisement consent. It is illegal to erect an advertisement without gaining the necessary consent.

What needs consent?
If you are unsure if a sign needs consent, please contact us or visit the Communities and Local Government website.

Applying for consent
If you wish to apply for advertisement consent, please apply online. When an application is made, the main issues for consideration are amenity and public safety.

We can and do take action on illegal advertisements, including 'A' boards set up on the public highway (this may include large pavement areas) and they may be taken away.

Flyposting is an illegal, anti-social activity that creates a negative impression of an area and contributes to people's fear of crime. To report flyposting please make a planning enforcement complaint.

Last Updated on 29 March 2019