Dropped kerbs

Application for dropped kerb

Vehicle crossing / installation

Vehicle crossings are provided to assist vehicle access on to or across footways, such as driveways.

These can be provided at the request of householders, subject to payment of the costs of installing the dropped kerb.

In order to ensure that vehicle crossings are constructed to the required standard and specification, all domestic vehicle crossings are built by the Council's approved Contractor. 

Important notice
The construction of a vehicle crossing by the Council does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to the property with a private or light goods motor car.

The crossing itself is part of the public highway. From the date that the Council accepts the completed crossing, they will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use by heavy vehicles, etc.

As there is no right to have a vehicular crossing provided, there is no right of appeal should the Highway Authority refuse to sanction the installation of a crossing facility.

Dropped kerbs for vehicles (vehicle crossings) are provided to allow access for vehicles from the carriageway on to or across the footway, such as driveways. This removes the sharp difference in footway and carriageway levels and helps to prevent damage to vehicle tyres etc.

To apply for a vehicle crossing, your request should be made to the Highways team.

The application request should give details of the address of the property where the vehicle crossing is required.

If there is currently no opening within the boundary wall or fence, which identifies the location of the proposed crossing facility, a simple sketch plan should be included with the application, showing the required siting. Please refer to the Vehicle Crossings Policy and Installation Criteria for further information.

Highways Maintenance will then check the viability of the application, visit the proposed site, mark the footpath/kerbline with white paint and provide you with a written quotation for the crossing construction. Any problems identified with the application will be discussed with you as part of the application process to see if a resolution can be found.

To avoid disappointment and the risk of abortive costs, applications should be received prior to carrying out any alterations to boundary walls, fences etc. or creating new hardstanding within garden boundaries etc.

Planning permission is not usually required for such work, but will be if the property:

  • has the frontage directly on to a classified road
  • involved is a listed building
  • involved is other than a house for a single family, e.g. Flat, Maisonette, Commercial or Industrial Premises. 

If it appears that your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required you should contact the Council. Alternatively see our planning permission information.

If you decide to go ahead with the construction you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before construction can take place.

Please refer to the Vehicle Crossings Policy and Installation Criteria (below) for further information

Residents and visitors may apply for dropped kerbs at locations where wheelchair users and pedestrian with mobility difficulties are having problems.

When a high number of requests are received they are forwarded to the Sefton Access Forum which consists of representatives from the various disability groups within Sefton.

Due to financial constraints, the Access Group have to prioritise those sites which give the greatest benefit, for example dropped kerbs within a shopping area will benefit more people than one outside an individual's house. These locations will be prioritised to be done first. Requests for dropped kerbs should be made to the Traffic Management Team.

Rate this page

10 people liked this page