The Council is due to undertake refurbishment work at Hightown Station Footbridge commencing on 10th August 2020. The work is expected to finish in October 2020. The work mainly comprises painting and resurfacing of the steps and ramps serving the bridge. The span of the bridge over the tracks will not be subject to any work save for minor repairs as work to the span will be undertaken separately and is expected to take place in summer 2021.
Returning to the imminent works, either the steps or ramps will be available throughout the works period. The steps will be out of service from Friday 14/08/20 to Monday 07/09/20 and will be taken off site for refurbishment. At the same time some work will take place on site to refurbish the ramps and during that time the ramp width will be reduced. On return of the steps into service on 07/09/20, the ramps will be closed until the end of September for resurfacing work.
The following arrangements will be in place for members of the public who use the bridge to cross the tracks:
- Whilst the steps are off site, members of the public should use the ramps.
- Whilst the ramps are closed, a pedestrian diversion via Alt Road/Kerslake Way/Lower Alt Road will be signposted. In addition, MerseyRail are providing support staff in the morning and evening peaks to help people who would normally use the ramps, to use the steps by carrying luggage and empty pushchairs.
The following arrangements will be in place for rail passengers:
- As noted above MerseyRail are providing support staff in the morning and evening peaks.
- MerseyRail are providing help to passengers who use the assisted travel service.
- Step free access is available at Hall Road or Formby stations
There is also information on MerseyRail’s website here