Sefton Climate Emergency Strategy
Following the declaration, a strategy document has been developed. The strategy provides the basis from which future plans develop and represents a commitment from Sefton Council to taking action.
The strategy sets out seven key principles which make up our CLIMATE acronym. The principles will guide our actions and future activities:
By 2030, we will have:
- Established a clear baseline and full audit of all ongoing work that can contribute to the achievement of our net zero target.
- Developed ambitious yet achievable targets for each of our proposed action plans based on our baseline evidence.
- Achieved net carbon zero by 2030 and ensure all strategic decisions are in line with this target.
- Raised awareness of the issues across the Council, our partners and our communities.
- Engaged with young people and the wider community.
- Embed climate action and value into our decision making across the organisation.
Climate Emergency Implementation Plan
Following approval of the strategy, a Climate Emergency Implementation Plan has been developed setting out our actions in response to the Climate Emergency.
The Implementation Plan covers three 3 year phases to align with the Council’s financial planning cycle (shown below). This provides us with the opportunity to review and revise our approach as opportunities arise.
Phase 1 2020 – 2023;
Phase 2 2023 – 2026;
Phase 3 2026 -2029.
You can read our implementation plan here
In our strategy, we commit to an Annual Report in July to update on work towards our 2030 target.