Climate Emergency Declaration
In July 2019 Sefton Council declared a Climate Emergency. In declaring a Climate Emergency, it was agreed that:
Sefton Council is committed to reducing carbon emissions and resolves to go further than the UK100 Agreement and to act in line with the scientific consensus that we must reduce emissions to net zero by 2030, and therefore commits to:
- Declare a ‘Climate Emergency’ that requires urgent action.
- Make the Council’s activities net-zero carbon by 2030.
- Commit to municipalisation of energy supply by utilising public sector sites to generate energy where appropriate
- Ensure that all strategic decisions are in line with a shift to zero carbon by 2030.
- Support and work with all other relevant agencies towards making the Sefton area Zero Carbon within the same timescale.
- Achieve 100% clean energy across Sefton Council’s full range of functions by 2030.
- Convene an assembly of interested groups not directly represented on Council in 2020 to oversee and feed into the development of related action plans and budgets across the City.
“We are committed to taking responsibility for our carbon emissions and playing our part in limiting global average temperature rises. Business as usual is no longer an option.” Cllr Paulette Lappin