How to apply for Council Tax Reduction Scheme

To apply, you must complete an application form which you must return with proof of your identity, income and savings. 

Claim online

This is the fastest and easiest way to submit your claim.
The portal is responsive to the questions you answer and will only ask the questions that are required by legislation and that are relevant to your circumstances.
It is important that you fill it in completely and accurately. If the information is incorrect or incomplete, it may take longer to sort out your claim.
Please ensure that you have the following details available before you start to complete your application form:

  • Details of all your household members and income
  • If you are employed, you will need the full details of your income received along with your employer's name, address and post code
  • If there is additional information you want to tell us about, you can include this in the "other information" option near the end of the application form.

Please note that, in order to comply with data security requirements, any incomplete forms that are not submitted within 14 days of the date that they are started will automatically be deleted from the system. You would then need to start a new application if you still wish to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction. It is your responsibility to ensure that claim forms are submitted in time.

You can complete an application form at all of the following Council offices

Sefton One Stop Shop Offices (open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

  • Bootle One Stop Shop, 324 - 342 Stanley Road, Bootle, L20 6ET
  • Southport One Stop Shop, Cambridge Arcade, Southport, PR9 1DA

You can now submit evidence to support your claim to the following libraries:

  • Crosby Library, Crosby Road North, Waterloo L22 0LQ
  • Formby Library, Duke Street, Formby, L37 4AN
  • Meadows (Maghull) Library, Hall Lane, Maghull, L31 7BB
  • Netherton Library, Glovers Lane, Netherton, L30 3TL
  • Southport Library, Lord Street, Southport, PR8 1DJ

Tenants of any of the following Housing Associations can submit evidence in support of their claim directly to the Housing Association*.

  • One Vision Housing
  • Riverside Housing Association
  • Jigsaw Housing Association
  • Crosby Housing Association
  • Regenda Housing Association

If you are a tenant of any of these Housing Associations, you should contact them directly for details of where forms can be submitted. 

*The Housing Associations listed above can accept the claims from its tenants on behalf of and by agreement with the council. This agreement exists for the convenience of the tenant. However, the council remain responsible for the processing, calculation and payment of any Housing Benefit you are entitled to. Any questions relating to claims submitted directly to the Housing Association should be directed to Sefton Council.

If you receive any state benefits or Tax Credits, you must provide evidence of this in the form of the notification letters sent to you by the Department for Work and Pensions or HMRC (depending on which benefit / Tax Credit you receive).
If you are working, please provide 5 consecutive weekly payslips, 3 consecutive fortnightly payslips or 2 consecutive monthly payslips.
If you are self-employed you must provide details of your business income and expenditure.

If you are classed as working age, your claim can be backdated for a period of up to six months, however you will need to show “good cause” as to why you did not make your claim earlier. This “good cause” must have existed throughout the period we can consider backdating for.

If you are classed as a pensioner, your claim can be backdated for a maximum of three months for any reason, without the need to show “good cause” as to why your claim was not made earlier.

If you want to find out if you will qualify for help with your Council Tax, you can:

  • Use the 'Check your eligibility' link here 
  • Contact the Council's Benefit take up and Liaison Officer on 0151 934 3946 who will assist you further.

To sign up for online notification letters, go to the View your claim and letters section here, choose 'Register for online letters' and enter your details. You will need your current claim reference to do this.



Last Updated on Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Recite Me Button