Riding establishment licences

Any person who wishes to use premises for the stabling of horses and for hire out of horses, or ponies, for riding (or instruction) must be licensed to do so by us by the Riding Establishments Act 1964 and Riding Establishments Act 1970.

We aim to complete this type of application within 28 days.

This service is not covered by the tacit authorisation process as it is in the public interest that we process the application before it can be granted.

There are fees applicable to this process.

Premises used for the stabling of horses and hire out of horses or ponies for riding or instruction must be licensed to do so by the Council

Any individual over the age of eighteen years or a body corporate, being a person who is not for the time being disqualified:

  • under this Act, from keeping a riding establishment; or
  • under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954, from having the custody of animals; or
  • under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, from keeping a boarding establishment for animals

The Council must decide if:

  • the applicant appears to them to be suitable and qualified either by experience in the management of horses or by being the holder of an approved certificate or by employing in the management of the riding establishment a person so qualified, to be the holder of a licence; and the applicant will ensure that:┬áparamount consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, and in all respects physically fit and that, in the case of a horse kept for the purpose of its being let out on hire for riding, the horse will be suitable for the purpose for which it is kept;┬áthe feet of all animals are properly trimmed and that, if shod, their shoes are properly fitted and in good condition

Yes, to the Magistrates Court. The Court can give such directions as it thinks fit.