Animal boarding licence

Any persons who wish to carry on the business of providing accommodation for animals (i.e. cats and dogs) on behalf of their owners, must obtain a licence from us to do so under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.

We aim to complete this type of application within 28 days.

Tacit authorisation applies to this service; this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. Please note that this will only apply for applications that are submitted electronically via the Point of Single Contact (PSC) or where the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

There are fees applicable to this process.

Persons who wish to carry on the business of providing accommodation for dogs and/or cats on behalf of their owners, must obtain a licence to do so from the Council. A licence is required even if the premises concerned are a private dwelling.

A person who is not for the time being disqualified:

  • under this Act, from keeping a boarding establishment for animals; or
  • under the Pet Animals Act 1951, from keeping a pet shop; or
  • under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954, from having the custody of animals

We will take the following into consideration when judging an application:

  • that animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
  • that animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding material, adequately exercised, and (so far as necessary) visited at suitable intervals;
  • that all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread among animals of infectious or contagious diseases, including the provision of adequate isolation facilities;
  • that appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of the animals in case of fire or other emergency;
  • that a register be kept containing a description of any animals received into the establishment, date of arrival and departure, and the name and address of the owner, such register to be available for inspection by an officer of the local authority, veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner authorised under Section 2(1) of this Act

All licences expire on 31st December each year, no matter when they are granted.

Yes, to the Magistrates Court. The Court can give such directions as it thinks fit.