You can ask to pay in monthly instalments up to a maximum of 12 instalments in a year. Your instalment plan will be shown on your demand, along with your chosen method of payment. You can change your method of payment at any time.
Pay your Council Tax demand by Direct Debit
This is the most efficient way of paying and helps to keep costs down. To sign up for Direct Debit, please complete the online form, the link to which is shown on the right-hand side of this page. You will need to provide your bank account details.
Not all Bank or Building Society accounts are suitable for Direct Debit. If you are unsure, please check with your Bank or Building Society.
Alternatively, you can pay via the following options:
If you wish to pay by this method please refer to the reverse of your demand for the Council’s bank details.
You can pay at either of the Council's One Stop Shops or by post to:
Sefton Council, PO Box 33, Bootle, L20 3SX.
Cheques must be made payable to Sefton Council and crossed A/C Payee Only. You must write your Council Tax account number on the reverse. Please do not send your demand with your payment. If you require a receipt, please send a stamped addressed envelope.
You can make payments using your debit or credit card on the automated payment line 0151 934 4697. Please follow the instructions given. All major credit cards are accepted except American Express, Diners Card and Electron.
Payments can be made at Post Offices and Payzone outlets using a swipe payment card. If you wish to pay your Council Tax over the counter at a Post Office or at a Payzone outlet and you do not already have a swipe payment card, please contact 0345 140 0845. You will not require a new card for each financial year, but will need to request one if your account number changes for any reason.
View the Payzone website to find your nearest Pay Zone outlet.
Some simple rules to follow:
- Always ensure payment reaches the Council on or before the due date shown on your demand. Otherwise the instalment facility will be withdrawn and the whole of the balance outstanding will become due. You may also incur extra costs if legal proceedings are issued against you.
- Allow 5 days when paying at a Bank/Post Office or via the internet for payment to reach the Council in time.
- If payment is made in cash always obtain a receipt. Never send cash through the post.
- If paying by credit/debit card by telephone, it is advisable to call from a landline rather than by mobile phone for greater security.
- Always produce your demand when making payments at the Council One Stop Shops.