Carers Support

You are a carer if you provide regular and substantial unpaid help to someone who is frail or disabled, or mentally or physically ill, and who cannot manage without your support. You may not live in the same house, and you do not have to be related to the person you look after.

The Care Act 2014 sets out carers' legal rights to assessment and support. It came into force in April 2015

The Care Act gives local authorities a responsibility to assess a carer's need for support, where the carer appears to have such needs. This replaced the law which said the carer must be providing "a substantial amount of care on a regular basis" to qualify for an assessment. 

This means more carers are now able to have an assessment. The local authority will assess whether the carer has needs and what those needs may be. This assessment will consider the impact of caring on the carer.

Anyone wanting help, advice or assistance completing the carers needs assessment should contact Sefton Carers Centre on 0151 288 6060 or Sefton Pensioners Advocacy Centre on 01704 538411. 

Children and young people under the age of 18 who provide care to a family member who has a physical illness/disability, mental illness, sensory disability or problematic use of drugs or alcohol.

Young carers take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. They may be doing tasks like shopping, cooking or housework, or they may be feeding, toileting and bathing the person they care for. They may also be looking after siblings, giving medication, interpreting because of hearing, visual or speech impairment, or because English is not the first language.

They could also be providing emotional support for the person they care for, especially if the person has a mental health problem or substance addiction.

Young Carers can face multiple problems as a result of the impact of caring. They may experience social exclusion and bullying, problems in getting to school or getting there on time, homework and attainment difficulties, low self esteem and self-confidence, constant worry about the person they care for, as well as financial difficulties.

A carer’s assessment will look at the different ways caring affects your life and work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. It should cover your caring role, your feelings about caring, your physical, mental and emotional health, and how caring affects your work, leisure, education, wider family and relationships.

Your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing will be at the heart of this assessment. This means that you will be able to tell the council how caring for someone is affecting your life and what could make things better for you and the person you look after.

When can I request a carers assessment?

You can ask for a carer’s assessment at any time.  You should contact the council covering the area where the person you care for lives, if it is not the same as your own. If you don’t want a carer’s assessment but you are looking for advice and information about local support, the council will be able to help you.

How might a carers assessment help me?

If you provide care and support to an adult friend or family member, you may be eligible for support, such as a direct payment to spend on the things that make caring easier; or practical support, like arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break.  Or you may prefer to be put in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

A carer’s assessment will consider the impact the care and support you provide is having on your own wellbeing and important aspects of the rest of your life.

Last Updated on 10 April 2018