There are also two cycle hire centres in Southport and Crosby where bikes can be hired at a reasonable cost for either half or full days. For details of these cycle hire centres, please see the Visit Sefton and West Lancs website.
Wheels for All
This initiative offers cycling opportunities for people with disabilities available at Litherland Sports Park, Dunes Leisure Centre, Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre.
The 'Free Wheeling' scheme is open to any Sefton resident over 16yrs. There are 7 centres involved in the scheme and their details are:
- Formby Pool Project Office - 01704 879366
- Ainsdale Discovery Centre - 0151 934 2967
- Bootle Leisure Centre - 0151 330 3301
- Crosby Leisure Centre - 0151 932 9080
- Dunes Splash World - 01704 537160
- Litherland Sports Park - 0151 288 6288
- Crosby Lakeside Activity Centre - 0151 966 6868
For further information on either of these schemes please contact the above centres or contact the Council.
Southport Cycling Town
Throughout the 3 year Cycle Town project, which ran from 2008 to 2011, over 16km of new and improved cycle routes have been developed across the town, this includes over 9km around the seafront and to improve the coastal path. Through the project, we have increased cycle parking spaces in Southport by 608. This includes spaces at workplaces, shopping centres, libraries and parks and a bespoke secure parking facility at the Eco Centre.
Some other achievements of working with 22 local schools included:
- extra cycle storage
- over 1500 children receiving both level 1 and level 2 Bikeability training
- Bike It activities being delivered
- Over 900 children learning to ride without stabilisers.