Register to vote

If you want to vote at a General or Local Election, you have to be on the Electoral Register. You do this by registering to vote, which you can do online

It is your responsibility to register yourself. In previous years, one person could register the whole household - this is no longer the case.

It is important to have your National Insurance (NI) number to hand when applying to join the Electoral Register. 

If you are having difficulty registering or understanding vote registration, check out the FAQs below. 

To be eligible for the Electoral Register, you must:

Be 18 and live in the electoral area where your vote will be cast

Be a British, Irish, a Qualifying citizen of a Commonwealth country or a citizen of a European Union country. 


Yes, if you are aged 18 and over, you have to be on the register by law. If you are not on the register, not only will you be unable to vote, you may have difficulty applying for a loan, credit card, mortgage or bank account as the register is used by credit reference agencies. 

Sefton Council will send a Household Enquiry Form to every property each year - follow the instructions to update information, add or delate names or make any changes.

To make an application to register to vote, you will have to complete an Invitation to Register or go online at the Government Register to Vote webpage.  You will need to have your National Insurance Number handy to complete the application. 

You don’t need to register again unless you change address.

You should however return the household enquiry form that you will receive every year that confirms who is living in your household. You should also inform us if any of your details change, e.g. your name. 

If you have recently moved house you need to register to vote again online 

Yes you can, but not having permanent home address means you cannot register as an ordinary elector.

To register, you have to make a Declaration of Local Connection - you can do this by completing an Electoral registration form for someone with no fixed or permanent address Doing this means that you can be registered at an address where you spend a substantial part of your time during the day or night.

This does not have to be conventional accomodation, it could for example be a barge, caravan, bus shelter, a park bench or the doorway to a shop. 

Those typically of no fixed address are homeless, a gypsy/traveller, living on a boat or moveable home, a patient in a mental health hospital, a merchant seaman or someone remanded in custody. You can learn more about this at the Your Vote Matters Government  website. 

If you are on the Electoral Register, you can vote by post. The deadline for applications to vote by post is 5pm, 11 working days before an election.  You can download an application form at Your Vote Matters  You will need to complete and sign the form then return it to Sefton Council, Bootle Town Hall, Oriel Road, Bootle, L20 7AE

Yes they can. This is known as proxy voting and can be an alternative to postal voting.

If you have a postal vote and wish to change to a proxy vote, you need to contact Sefton Council's Electoral Services by 5pm, 11 working days before an election.

The deadline for new proxy voting applications should be received 6 working days before an election.

You can apply for a proxy vote online at Your Vote Matters You will need to complete and sign the form then return it to Sefton Council, Bootle Town Hall, Oriel Road, Bootle, L20 7AE

No, if you are unable to make an application to register to vote then please contact Sefton Electoral Services on 0345 140 0845 or by email 

You can vote on behalf of another person if they have appointed you as their proxy to do so.

No. You just need to cross out the mistake and initial it. 

If you lose your Polling Card, you can take ID, including a Driving Licence, Passport or EEA Identity Card which are classed as Evidence type 1 when registerting to vote.

The Electoral Register is where the names and addresses of those who register to vote in elections are held. It can also be used to:

Detect criminal activity, such as fraud

Calling citizens up for Jury service

Checking credit agreements e.g. a loan application


Unless you opt out of the Open Register when you join the Electoral Register, your details will appear on it and will be available to any person or organisation. 

Last Updated on 13 July 2018