Noise pollution

Sefton have powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to investigate complaints of noise nuisance. To make a formal noise complaint please telephone 0345 140 0845. 

Noise problems that we can deal with 

Noise problems we do not deal with

We recommended that you contact the noise source in the first instance as the person causing the noise may not know they are creating a problem.

If this does not resolve the problem or you don’t feel able to approach the noise source and you wish to make a formal complaint you can do so by ringing 0345 140 0845. Your noise complaint should include: 

  • Your name, address, valid email address and contact telephone number
  • The address where the noise is coming from
  • The type of noise, how long it has been happening and what you have done to try to deal with it

We aim to respond to noise complaints within five working days of receipt of your request.

When we receive your request, an Investigating Officer will be assigned to your case and will contact you to ensure you understand the investigation procedure and advise you of the next steps in the process.
It may be appropriate for the Investigating officer to write to the noise source to try and resolve the matter at an early stage.

If the problem continues complete the log sheet you have been sent (over the next 1-3 weeks) and return the log  to the Council.

After completing the noise log sheet please sign, date and return the log sheet by email or to the freepost address provided in your acknowledgement. (It is advisable to keep a copy of your log sheet before returning it)

The log sheet must include the reference number you were assigned when you reported the noise complaint. 

Your investigating Officer will review this log and contact you to discuss the case. If no further action can be taken you will be advised of this at this point. If further action is possible the noise source may be issued with a further warning and noise monitoring equipment may be installed in your property. 

If the noise continues, monitoring equipment will be installed or surveillance will be carried out at your property. If evidence of a noise nuisance is witnessed, the Council will take appropriate enforcement action and may serve a noise abatement notice on the person responsible for the noise.

Your Investigating officer will keep you updated throughout the investigation process.

If the noise continues after the abatement notice court action may be possible and you may be required to complete further log sheets, witness statements and attend court to give evidence.

If no further action is possible the Investigating Officer will contact you and advise you accordingly.

This type of noise generally is not long lasting but may affect a number of residents in the area so we aim to deal with this within 24 hours of your initial complaint.

If you want to make a formal complaint about an alarm sounding in your neighbourhood please phone 0345 140 0845.

We initially try to contact a keyholder but have powers to silence the alarm.

In general, construction work will only be allowed between the hours 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm Saturday.
If you are affected by construction noise, you can report it and we will provide you with log sheets to complete and return. We will also contact the operator of the site and advise them of appropriate working hours and methods. We may also carry out surveillance or install recording equipment in your property.

Last Updated on 19 October 2017

Rate this page

6 people liked this page