Apply for a school place via the Citizen Portal
It is an important decision for many families when considering which schools to name on their application for starting school for the first time and when moving on to secondary school.
Sefton Council has prepared the booklet: Apply for a Primary or Secondary School Place - A Guide for Parents/Carers
This provides Sefton parents/carers with all the information required in order to apply for school places for your child when they are either starting school for the first time or applying to move up to secondary school.
It is very important that you take the time to read this booklet before you submit an application and refer to the checklist for parents/carers. The booklet includes:
- How applications should be submitted
- The closing dates and deadlines for applications
- How the Local Authority processes both primary and secondary applications.
- What happens if your application is late
- What to do if you move house during the application time.
- How and when offers of places for both starting school and moving on to secondary school are made
Once you have read the Guide for Parents you can then refer to the Sefton Primary and Secondary Schools Admissions Information Booklet.
To help decide which schools you would like to apply for you should:
- Read the Applying for a Primary or Secondary School place -Guide for Parents
- Refer to the Primary and Secondary Schools – Admissions Information Booklet to find the schools in your area and look at the admissions criteria for the schools you are considering
- Think about which criterion your application would be considered under and review the numbers of successful applications in each criterion for previous years. This should help inform your choices and chances of a successful application.
- Arrange to visit schools
- Look at other sources of information such as school prospectus, Ofsted reports
- Complete the supplementary information forms (which you should request from the school) if you want to be considered under the faith criterion for admission to a faith school you name on your application. You will see if this is required for your preferred schools from the schools Information Booklet.
- Look at whether you child would qualify for home to school transport for the schools you are considering - Section B of the Guide for Parents/Carers
Please contact the admissions team directly on 0151 934 3590.
The national offer date is 1 March 2018 for Secondary School places and 16 April 2018 for Primary School places.
- If your child can be offered a place at more than one of your preferred schools we will offer you the place at your highest preferred school listed on your application form that we can.
- If your child cannot be offered a place at any of the schools listed as preferences on your application form we will offer your child a place at the nearest qualifying school to your home address with an available place.
- If you apply online and tick the box requesting your offer to be sent online we will send an email on the national offer date. The email will confirm the name of the school at which your child has been offered a place. You will also be able to access the offer information online on the allocation days.
- If you have not been offered your highest preferred school you will also receive a letter within 48 hrs informing you about the appeals process.
- If you do not have access to the internet and apply via a paper application form, a letter will be posted to your home address on the national offer date. The letter will confirm the name of the school at which your child has been offered a place. The letter should be received within 48 hrs.
Please note we will not disclose any offer information over the telephone (or in response to email enquiries) and you will have to wait for the letter to arrive at your home address.
You do not have to accept the place offered. It is allocated automatically and you should only return the slip declining the place offered if you have secured a place at another school, or no longer require a school place for your child in the Sefton area. Full details will be enclosed with the email and letter.
To find out if there is another school with places please telephone the admissions team on 0151 934 3590 for current vacancy information.
To make any changes after allocation you must complete the appropriate form below:
You can also request a late application/change of preference form by contacting the School Admissions Team directly firstname.lastname@example.org
All late applications and changes will be dealt with in accordance with the published process shown in the Guide for Parents Information Booklet.
Your child will automatically be added to the waiting list for a school you have been refused (providing it was a higher preference than the school you were offered). For further information on the operation of waiting lists please refer to the process shown in the Guide for Parents Information Booklet.
Full details will be contained in the letter posted to you on the national offer date. An appeals factsheet is also available in the downloads section below.