Primary school admissions
Starting Primary School in 2013
Sefton has prepared this booklet to give you information about
Primary Education in Sefton and choosing a primary school. We hope
you find it helpful particularly if your child is about to start
school for the first time in September 2013.
Main facts about the Primary Application Process
1. Apply for up to three primary schools that you want in order
of preference (we recommend that you apply for three schools).
If you live in Sefton and want to apply for a place at a school
in another Authority you must apply to Sefton for that place. If
you live outside Sefton and want to apply for a Sefton School you
must apply to your own Authority for that place.
To help make this decision you should:
- Read the information and application process in Section
1 of the Admissions Guide for Parents
- Find the schools in your area by looking at Section 2 of
the Admissions Guide for Parents Booklet.
- Read the admissions criteria for Community and Voluntary
Controlled schools contained in Section 2 of the Admissions
Guide for Parents Booklet.
- If you are considering applying for a Voluntary Aided school
please refer to the admission arrangements listed for each
individual school in Section 2 of the Admissions
Guide for Parents Booklet.
- Arrange to visit schools.
- Look at other sources of information.
- Consider the Home to School Transport Policy –
Section 3 of the Admissions Guide for Parents
2. Submit your application by 15th January 2013.
We recommend you apply online.
Alternatively, if you do not want to apply online, paper
application forms are available at the back of the Primary
Schools Booklet, available from nurseries and all primary schools
in September 2012.
3. Which school will we offer you and when?
- If your child can be offered a place at more than one of
your preferred schools we will offer you the place at your highest
preferred school listed on your application form.
- If your child cannot be offered a place at any of the schools
listed as preferences on your application form we will offer you
the nearest appropriate community or voluntary aided school to your
home address with an available place.
- If you have applied online, we will send you an email on
16th April 2013 informing you which school we have
offered your child a place. You will also be able to access the
offer information on 16th April online if you applied
- If you applied via a paper application form
your letter will be posted on 16th April 2013
informing you which school we have offered your child a place.
4. What can you do if you are not happy with the school we have
- Request information relating to schools with available
- Ask to be put on the waiting list for your preferred school.
(You will remain on the list after allocation date until the end of
- Submit an appeal for a place at the school by completing
an appeal form.
Admissions to Primary Schools
N.B. Due to the large filesize of the above
document, it has also been split into the following smaller
files for easier access:
Last Updated on 3/1/2013