Ince Blundell is a village in the borough of Sefton. It is
situated to the north of Liverpool on the A565 road and to the east
of the village of Hightown. There are two associated hamlets of
Lady Green and Carr Houses.
Ince Blundell is probably the oldest settlement within the
borough of Sefton.
The name Ince comes from Hinne a Celtic word meaning
"island in the marsh". This name bears evidence to Ince lying on a
sandy ridge in the Alt valley, a place that in the past had been
In the 14th century, John Blundell, whose family were the
predominant landowners in the area, added his surname to Ince. This
was to distinguish it from the Ince in Cheshire and
Ince-in-Makerfield near Wigan.
Built from 1720, Ince Blundell Hall was the home of the
Blundells of Ince, who became the Weld-Blundells until 1959. It is
now a nursing home run by the Canonesses of Saint Augustine.
Ince Blundell Hall is noted for the collection of marble statues
from Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece. They were collected by the
Blundell family over generations (but particularly by Henry
Blundell) and housed in the purpose built Garden Temple, a
scaled-down version of the Pantheon. The sculptures are now located
in Liverpool Museum and the city's Walker Art Gallery, including
two from Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli.
Please find links below relevant to your area.
For information on Conservation, Ward Boundaries, Civil Parish
Boundaries, Parliamentary Constituencies, Planning
Applications and Enforcements please go to Sefton online
Information on Nurseries/ Preschool Playgroups, Children’s
Centres, Sports Centres, Residential Care Homes, Nursing Homes,
Doctors, Dentists, Opticians and Pharmacies can also be found
Last Updated on 3/4/2013